The Biology department offers many honors opportunities for undergraduates at Carolina, in the form of honors courses as well as research and extra-curricular activities.
The Honors courses listed below are not offered every semester. Check the current course listings in Connect Carolina. No Honors classes are offered in Summer School. All honors classes (except 395H and 692H) are controlled by the Honors Office – this includes the waitlist.
BIOL 101H – offered Fall or Spring – subject to change
BIOL 201H – offered Spring only – subject to change
BIOL 202H – offered in Fall or Spring – subject to change
BIOL 205H – offered in Fall or Spring – subject to change
BIOL 224H – offered every odd-numbered spring starting in Spring 2017
BIOL 294H – not offered on a regular basis
BIOL 395H – offered Fall & Spring – Must take 395H class in addition to research
BIOL 514H – offered Fall only – subject to change
BIOL 526H – offered Fall only (even years) – subject to change
BIOL 565H – offered Spring only – subject to change
BIOL 692H – offered Fall & Spring – Must take class and present research orally at the Koeppe Biology Honors Research Symposium
Senior Honors Thesis in Biology
Honors in Biology is earned through independent research conducted in BIOL 395 & 692H. BIOL 692H students give an oral presentation of their research at the John K. Koeppe Undergraduate Honors Research Symposium.
- Read more about undergraduate research in Biology.
- Read about this semester’s Undergraduate Research Symposium.
- Contact Dr. Amy Shaub Maddox, our Biology Honors Director, with questions about the program.
Tri-Beta Honor Society
Here at UNC, Tri-Beta is more than just an honor society. Our members have been equally devoted to service both within the department and in the larger community. Please visit the Tri-Beta website for more information.
Other Honors Opportunities
You will find several options available within the university at the honors level:
- Graduating with Distinction/Highest Distinction – On your transcript under Degrees Awarded: Degree Honors: Distinction
- Graduating with Honors/Highest Honors (BIOL 692H) – On your transcript under Degrees Awarded: Plan: Biology (BS) Highest Honors 1st Major
- Honors/Highest Honors students will receive gold honor cords to wear with their graduation gown
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Dean’s List
- Honors Carolina
- Honors Study Abroad