The Biology department offers many honors opportunities for undergraduates at Carolina, in the form of honors courses as well as research and extra-curricular activities.
The Honors courses listed below are NOT offered every semester. Check the current course listings in Connect Carolina. No Honors classes are offered in Summer School. All honors classes (except 395H and 692H) are controlled by the Honors Office – this includes the waitlist.
The only honors lab that Biology offers are connected with the honors course (BIOL 255H/L, BIOL 224H/L ARTS 409H/BIOL 409L). We do NOT offer a stand-alone honors lab for BIOL 101L, 252L, or 474L.
BIOL 224H/L – must take class & lab together
BIOL 255H/L – must take class & lab together
BIOL 395H – Must take 395H class in addition to research
BIOL 409L – must be taken with ARTS 409H
BIOL 692H – Must take class and present research orally at the Koeppe Biology Honors Research Symposium
Senior Honors Thesis in Biology - BIOL 692H
BIOL 692H seniors give an oral presentation of their research at the Koeppe Undergraduate Honors Research Symposium. The distinction of Highest Honors in Biology or Honors in Biology (noted on the student’s transcript) is awarded after their research presentation.
- Read about this semester’s Undergraduate Research Symposium.
- Contact Dr. Amy Shaub Maddox, our Biology Honors Director, with questions about the program.
Honors Thesis in Biology is done by taking BIOL 692H in your final year (either Fall or spring semester).
Eligibility to pursue Honor thesis-
- Minimum GPA of 3.3 (both cumulative and Biology GPA, which includes only BIOL courses, and not include BIOL 101 and second semester of 395),
- At least one semester of 395 completed in the same lab of 692H
Applications for BIOL 692H (Senior Honors Thesis in Biology – Fall 2022: Applications due Friday, April 15, 2022
Please use this link to the application:
The Spring 2022 Koeppe Undergraduate Honors Research Symposium will be held on April 4-8, 2022 (see schedule here).
Tri-Beta Honor Society
Here at UNC, Tri-Beta is more than just an honor society. Our members have been equally devoted to service both within the department and in the larger community. Please visit the Tri-Beta website for more information.
Other Honors Opportunities
You will find several options available within the university at the honors level:
- Graduating with Distinction/Highest Distinction – On your transcript under Degrees Awarded: Degree Honors: Distinction
- Graduating with Honors/Highest Honors (BIOL 692H) – On your transcript under Degrees Awarded: Plan: Biology (BS) Highest Honors 1st Major
- Honors/Highest Honors students will receive gold honor cords to wear with their graduation gown
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Dean’s List
- Honors Carolina
- Honors Study Abroad