Guidelines for Seminar Speakers
Thank you for accepting the invitation to speak at one of our monthly Biology Seminars at UNC Chapel Hill! Information provided on this page is meant to streamline the process, and make your visit with us go as smoothly as possible. If you do have any questions, please do not hesitate to reach out to Trish Brittenham.
Before Your Visit
- Please complete, sign, and return the following forms to Trish Brittenham at least two weeks prior to your visit.
- Please also send either a voided check, or a screen shot of your online banking account that clearly displays your name, and account number.
- All of the above can be sent by US Mail to:
- Trish Brittenham
UNC Department of Biology
120 South Road
Coker Hall, Room 208A
Chapel Hill, NC 27599
- Please book your own flight according to your preferred schedule. We will reimburse you for this expenses, however, we do request try to keep the cost within reason. Once you have booked your flight, please email your flight information to Trish Brittenham.
The destination to select is Raleigh-Durham (RDU). Typically, our guest speakers will come in the night before the talk (usually Monday evening), and leave the morning after the talk (usually Wednesday morning).
If you would be more comfortable with your flight being booked for you, please reach out to Trish and she can work with you.
During Your Visit
- When your flight arrives at RDU, please feel free to take whatever transportation you are comfortable with to your hotel. Most guests use Lyft of Uber, but there will be the phone number to a Taxi company on your itinerary if that is more suitable for you. Please save this receipt for reimbursement.
- On the day of your talk, you will likely have meetings set up with faculty and graduate students who request a one-on-one meeting. These are typically in 45-minute blocks. Your seminar will begin at 12:30 p.m.in Coker 215 (unless otherwise stated), and our IT staff will be on hand 15-30 minutes prior to assist you in connecting to our display/projection system.
At the conclusion of your talk, we host a small luncheon with a few graduate students and/or postdocs in our department. Trish will email you a week prior to your visit with the lunch menu to get your order.
Dinner will be arranged by your host the evening of your seminar. Attendees and location will be noted on your itinerary.
Any variation of this schedule will be determined by your faculty host and communicated to you.
After Your Visit
- The Department of Biology at UNC Chapel Hill will reimburse you for any out of pocket expenses incurred during your visit. This includes airport parking, transportation to and from the airport, meals, etc.; please make sure to retain all receipts for these expenses. In order for Trish to process the reimbursement as quickly as possible, please complete the reimbursement form at the conclusion of your trip, and make sure to include copies of all of your receipts when returning the form.
- Please complete, sign, and return the following form to Trish Brittenham as soon as you return home:
- Preparing for our international speakers does require more processing steps. In addition to the forms below, you will also need to send a copy of your passport or Visa. Once your paperwork is received, Trish Brittehnam will set a Zoom call with you to verify your banking information, as per university guidelines.
- Please complete, sign, and return the following forms to Trish Brittenham as soon as possible: