Bachelor of Science Degree Requirements
The Department of Biology offers the following degree options as a major or 2nd major: Bachelor of Arts (BA), Bachelor of Science (BS), and a Quantitative Track Bachelor of Science. We also offer a minor in biology.
Important- for students who entered UNC on Fall 21 or after-
The Bachelor of Science program is designed for students who intend to continue graduate study in biological or health sciences.
Only courses with 3 or more credit hours will count as biology electives toward the major/minor or as allied sciences.
- BIOL 101/101L (gateway course, with a C grade or better in BIOL 101)
- BIOL 201, 202, and 205 (the core courses)
- One organismal structure and diversity course chosen from 271/L, 272/L, 273/L, 274/L, 275/L, 277/L, 278/L, 279/L, 422/L, 441/L, 451/L, 471/L, 472/L, 473/L, 474/L, 475/L, 476/L, 478/L, 479L, or 579/L
- Four biology electives numbered above 205 (not including 213, 253, 291, 292, 293, 296, 495), at least two of them with a laboratory. At least two courses out of the five courses (four electives and one organismal course) must be numbered above 400 (not including 692H)
- CHEM 102/102L, 241/241L, 261, 262/262L
- PHYS 104/114 and 105/115, or 116/118 and 117/119
- Two additional Allied Science courses (courses in biology, other natural sciences, or mathematics)
- Students must fulfill all General Education requirements (Foundations, Approaches, and Connections) with these restrictions and additions:
- Foreign language: through level 3
- Foundations: Quantitative reasoning: MATH 231, and one of the following: MATH 232, COMP 110, 116, STOR 155, 215
- Approaches: Physical and life sciences: CHEM 101 and CHEM 101L
- Enough free electives to accumulate 123 academic hours
- At least 18 credit hours of C or better in Biology courses. Note that only biology courses that count toward the major can fulfill this requirement, and that BIOL 101 does not count toward this requirement.
Please note that this is just one of several optional plans. For tailoring the right plan for your needs, please consult with our Biology Advisor, Dr. Gidi Shemer
BIOL 101/101L; CHEM 101/101L, 102/102L; ENGL 101, 102; language levels 2, 3; MATH 231 plus a second course in mathematics, computer science, or statistics/operations research; lifetime fitness
Two of the three biology core courses (201, 202, 205); Two of CHEM 241/241L, 261, 262/262L; Approaches (one course)
Remaining biology core course, organismal biology course or biology elective; PHYS 114 and 115, or 118 and 119; remaining advanced chemistry course; Approaches and Connections (three courses)
Rest of biology electives (three to four courses); allied sciences (two courses); Approaches and Connections (two courses); free electives as needed to complete 123 academic hours
Please review the Transfer Checklist for helpful tips: B.S. Transfer Checklist