Bachelor of Arts Degree Requirements
The Department of Biology offers the following degree options as a major or 2nd major: Bachelor of Arts (BA), Bachelor of Science (BS), and a Quantitative Track Bachelor of Science. We also offer a minor in biology.
The Bachelor of Arts program is designed to provide greater flexibility than the B.S. in meeting broad student interests.
Only courses with 3 or more credit hours will count as biology electives toward the major/minor or as allied sciences.
- BIOL 101/101L (gateway course, with a C grade or better in BIOL 101)
- BIOL 201, 202, and 205 (the core courses)
- One organismal structure and diversity course chosen from 271/L, 272/L, 273/L, 274/L, 275/L, 277/L, 278/L, 279/L, 422/L, 441/L. 451/L, 471/L, 472/L, 473/L, 474/L, 475/L, 476/L, 478/L, 479L, or 579/L
- Three biology electives numbered above 205 (not including 213, 253, 291, 292, 293, 296, 495, and 692H), at least one with a laboratory. At least one course out of the four courses (three electives and one organismal course) must be numbered above 400 (not including 495, 692H)
- CHEM 101/101L + CHEM 102/102L
- Four additional courses Allied Science courses (courses in biology, other natural sciences, or mathematics)
- Three supplemental education courses: 200 level (and above) courses that are not fulfilling the requirements of the major and are not BIOL classes
- Students must fulfill all General Education requirements (Foundations, Approaches, Connections, and Supplemental education) with these restrictions and additions:
- Foundations: Foreign language: through level 3
- Foundations: Quantitative reasoning: Quantitative reasoning: one of the following: COMP 110, 116, MATH 130, 231, STOR 120, STOR 151, STOR 155.
- Approaches: Physical and life sciences: CHEM 101 and CHEM 101L
- General electives to complete the 120 academic hours required for graduation
Please note that this is just one of several optional plans. For tailoring the right plan for your needs, please consult with our Biology Advisor, Dr. Gidi Shemer
BIOL 101/101L; CHEM 101/101L, 102/102L; ENGL 101, 102; language levels 2, 3; Foundations quantitative reasoning requirement as specified above; lifetime fitness
Two of the three biology core courses (201, 202, 205); allied sciences (two courses); Approaches and Connections (four courses)
Remaining biology core course, organismal biology course, biology electives (one course); allied sciences (two courses); Approaches and Connections (two courses)
Biology electives (two courses); Approaches and Connections (one course); Free electives as needed to complete 120 academic hours and other requirements
Please review the Transfer Checklist for helpful tips: B.A. Transfer Checklist