Hogan, Kelly A.
STEM Teaching Professor
Associate Dean of Instructional Innovation, College of Arts & Sciences
104B Wilson Hall
(919) 843-6047 (office)
- National Association of Biology Teachers (NABT) Four Year Teaching Award (2020)
- The Tanner Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching (2015)
- NACADA’s 2015 Outstanding Advising Award for Faculty
- Carolina Women’s Leadership Council Mentoring Award, UNC, (2014)
- Bryan Public Service Award, UNC (2014)
- Spirit of Inquiry Award, Pope Foundation for Higher Education (2011)
- UNC Biology Department Instructor of the Year (2011 and 2016)
- Chapman Family Chancellor’s Award, UNC (2011)
- UNC Student Undergraduate Teaching and Staff Award (2010)
- A Dozen-Plus Ways you can Foster Educational Equity, Inside Higher Ed, July 2020.
- Eight Ways to be More Inclusive in Your Zoom teaching. Chronicle Of Higher Education, April, 2020.
- Want to Reach All of Your Students? Here’s How to Make Your Teaching More Inclusive. Advice Guide. Chronicle Of Higher Education, July 22, 2019.
- Getting Under the Hood: How and for Whom Does Increasing Course Structure Work? A research article published with my collaborator, Sarah Eddy.
- A few articles with my collaborator Viji Sathy about an inclusive curriculum, using technology to support inclusive teaching, and our framework around inclusive teaching
- Campbell Biology’s Concept and Connections, 8th, 9th, and 10th editions. Pearson.
- Campbell Essential Biology, 5th Edition. Pearson, 2015
- Stem Cells and Cloning
About My Teaching and Educational Projects (Featured in the Media):
- A Chronicle of Higher Education cover article feature about my teaching and inclusive teaching workshops.
- Are college Lectures Unfair? A New York Times article featuring my work with co-author Sarah Eddy.
- Podcasts with Teaching in Higher Ed with my collaborator Viji Sathy: one about teaching evaluations and one about inclusivity
- A New York Times article about a CBE LSE research article with co-author Sarah Eddy, detailing the benefits of an interactive, structured classroom in a large STEM course. See additional articles in INSIGHT Diversity and The Atlantic
- An essay (A “UT Austin Innovation Abstract“) with my personal perspective on changing my teaching from an instructor-centered to student-centered approach.
- An Inside Higher Ed article and a UNC Gazette article detailing how Carolina is innovating in STEM classrooms and a video.
- Videos: UNC Commencement address and Closing the Achievement Gap.
- Personal Genomic Testing. What are our students thinking? A blog post at the Center for Genomics and Society with a student of mine.
Need a letter of rec from me? See Letter of Recommendation Profile Form
Looking for a research position? See advice: Finding-a-Research-Mentor_UNC.
Tips on How-to-read-a-scientific-paper