Hogan, Kelly A.
Director of Instructional Innovation, College of Arts & Sciences
104B Wilson Hall
(919) 843-6047 (office)
- The Tanner Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching (2015)
- NACADA’s 2015 Outstanding Advising Award for Faculty
- Carolina Women’s Leadership Council Mentoring Award, UNC, (2014)
- Bryan Public Service Award, UNC (2014)
- Spirit of Inquiry Award, Pope Foundation for Higher Education (2011)
- UNC Biology Department Instructor of the Year (2011 and 2016)
- Chapman Family Chancellor’s Award, UNC (2011)
- UNC Student Undergraduate Teaching and Staff Award (2010)
- Campbell Essential Biology, 5th Edition. Pearson, 2015
- Campbell Biology’s Concept and Connections, 8th and 9th editions. Pearson, 2014
- Instructor Exchange: Sharing ideas across non- and mixed-majors biology classrooms
- Stem Cells and Cloning
- Are college Lectures Unfair? A New York Times article featuring my work with co-author Sarah Eddy.
- A New York Times article about a CBE LSE research article with co-author Sarah Eddy, detailing the benefits of an interactive, structured classroom in a large STEM course. See additional articles in INSIGHT Diversity and The Atlantic
- An essay (A “UT Austin Innovation Abstract“) with my personal perspective on changing my teaching from an instructor-centered to student-centered approach.
- An Inside Higher Ed article and a UNC Gazette article detailing how Carolina is innovating in STEM classrooms and a video.
- Videos: UNC Commencement address and Closing the Achievement Gap.
- A set of videos on the CFE’s YouTube channel
- A guest blog contribution to CFE 100+ blog on teaching large classes: “Help students who perform poorly on exams learn more effectively”
- A guest blog contribution to CFE 100+ blog on teaching large classes: “Adopt practices that help close the achievement gap for minority and first generation students”
- Personal Genomic Testing. What are our students thinking? A blog post at the Center for Genomics and Society with a student of mine.
- Using classroom response systems in my classroom
- Service Learning in Biology: NABT-poster.
Need a letter of rec from me? See letters-of-rec-instructions_9_2018_KH
Looking for a research position? See advice: Finding-a-Research-Mentor_UNC.
Please check out our Undergraduate Biology Facebook Page
Tips on How-to-read-a-scientific-paper
Dr. Hogan’s Study-Workshop-fall-2013