Hogan, Kelly A.
STEM Teaching Professor
Associate Dean of Instructional Innovation, College of Arts & Sciences
104B Wilson Hall
- National Association of Biology Teachers (NABT) Four Year Teaching Award (2020)
- The Tanner Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching (2015)
- NACADA’s 2015 Outstanding Advising Award for Faculty
- Carolina Women’s Leadership Council Mentoring Award, UNC, (2014)
- Bryan Public Service Award, UNC (2014)
- Spirit of Inquiry Award, Pope Foundation for Higher Education (2011)
- UNC Biology Department Instructor of the Year (2011 and 2016)
- Chapman Family Chancellor’s Award, UNC (2011)
- UNC Student Undergraduate Teaching and Staff Award (2010)
Read my co-authored book: Inclusive Teaching: Strategies for Promoting Equity in the College Classroom
Join me on Twitter: @DrMrsKellyHogan
Book me for inclusive teaching workshops at InclusifiED.com
- How to Give Our Students the Grace We All Need, Chronicle of Higher Education, January 2022.
- What students want from Remote Learning, American Society of Cell Biology Newsletter, August 2021
- A Dozen-Plus Ways you can Foster Educational Equity, Inside Higher Ed, July 2020.
- Eight Ways to be More Inclusive in Your Zoom teaching. Chronicle Of Higher Education, April, 2020.
- Want to Reach All of Your Students? Here’s How to Make Your Teaching More Inclusive. Advice Guide. Chronicle Of Higher Education, July 22, 2019.
- Getting Under the Hood: How and for Whom Does Increasing Course Structure Work? A research article published with my collaborator, Sarah Eddy.
- A few articles with my collaborator Viji Sathy about an inclusive curriculum, using technology to support inclusive teaching, and our framework around inclusive teaching
- Campbell Biology’s Concept and Connections, 8th, 9th, and 10th editions. Pearson.
- Campbell Essential Biology, 5th Edition. Pearson, 2015
- Stem Cells and Cloning
About My Teaching and Educational Projects (Featured in the Media):
- A Biology Department project funded by the AAU that I co-lead to learn how to pilot better ways to evaluate evidence-based teaching.
- A Chronicle of Higher Education cover article feature about my teaching and inclusive teaching workshops.
- Are College Lectures Unfair? A New York Times article featuring my work with co-author Sarah Eddy.
- Podcasts with Teaching in Higher Ed with my collaborator Viji Sathy: one about teaching evaluations and one about inclusivity and one about equity-enhancing data tools.
- A New York Times article about a CBE LSE research article with co-author Sarah Eddy, detailing the benefits of an interactive, structured classroom in a large STEM course. See additional articles in INSIGHT Diversity and The Atlantic
- Curricular innovations that I lead as Director of UNC’s Quality Enhancement Plan (QEP) focused on course-based undergraduate research experiences (CUREs) and makerspace courses.
- A talk I gave with my colleague Jeff Greene about a collaborative learning analytics project between biology and school of education and psychology.
- An essay (A “UT Austin Innovation Abstract“) with my personal perspective on changing my teaching from an instructor-centered to student-centered approach.
- An AAU-funded STEM Transformation project that I co-lead and an Inside Higher Ed article and a video highlighting the early stages of the project.
- Videos: UNC Commencement address and Closing the Achievement Gap.
Need a letter of rec from me? See Letter of Recommendation Profile Form
Looking for a research position? See advice: Finding-a-Research-Mentor_UNC.
Tips on How-to-read-a-scientific-paper