Biology Peer Mentoring Program
Welcome to the Biology Peer Mentoring Program
The Biology department is happy to offer you a free peer mentoring program in the following courses:
- BIOL 101- Principles of Biology
- BIOL 201- Ecology and Evolution
- BIOL 202- Molecular Biology and Genetics
- BIOL 205- Cell and Developmental Biology
- BIOL 252- Human Anatomy and Physiology
Instead of tutoring (which we offered in the past), we bring the supplemental instruction leaders and the peer mentors into the classroom. We will have two groups of peer “helpers”:
1. Supplemental Instruction (SI) leaders- these students will sit in class and help students during group activities. In addition, they will run a 1-hour review session every week
2. Peer mentors – they will also sit and work with students in class, but instead of SI review sessions, they will offer one-on-one peer mentoring office hours- 1-2 hours per week
After the semester starts, the peer mentors will post their mentoring hours and where they would like to meet, and that list will be available to all students
The mentors’ goal is to help you to help yourself. Feel free to come and ask them questions about the material or for their advice with regards to study strategies. However, please note that the mentors are not allowed to “do your homework” or to provide you with previous exams.
It is possible that not all the sections will offer peer mentoring. Please check with your instructors whether mentoring is available.
If you are interested in being a biology peer mentor ir SI leader, contact your instructor.
Dr. Gidi Shemer
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.